Announcement

Collapse

Landmark HairMax LaserComb Clinical Study Results Published, Proving Efficacy and Safety In Treating Hair Loss

The results of 4 clinical studies conclusively proving the efficacy and safety of the HairMax LaserComb was published in a peer review medical journal in April 2014 and here is a summation of the article.

"The results of four clinical studies on the treatment of male and female pattern hair loss with the HairMax LaserComb, was just published today in a peer-review journal, The American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. The article, Efficacy and Safety of a Low-level Laser Device in the Treatment of Male and Female Pattern Hair Loss: A Multicenter, Randomized, Sham Device-controlled, Double-blind Study was co-authored by renowned experts in the field of hair disorders. The results of these studies have now provided robust and conclusive evidence that the HairMax LaserComb is both effective and safe for the treatment of pattern hair loss in men and women.

This is the link to the clinical article:

http://link.springer.com/article/10....257-013-0060-6

The four clinical studies were conducted under strict Good Clinical Practice Guidelines at multiple study sites, including major teaching institutions of dermatology such as the Cleveland Clinic, University of Minnesota and University of Miami. Enrolled in the study were 225 males and females diagnosed with androgenetic alopecia (male and female pattern hair loss). Subjects received either the HairMax LaserComb or a sham (inactive) device in a randomized, blinded manner so that no one knew which device they were on. The primary efficacy analysis was based on the change in hair count after 26 weeks treatment with the HairMax LaserComb, compared to change in hair count with the sham (inactive) device.

The results of the studies showed that there was an average increase in terminal hair count of over 20 hairs per cm² (equivalent to over 139 hairs per square inch). Additionally, a higher percentage of lasercomb-treated subjects reported overall improvement in hair loss condition and thickness and fullness of hair in self-assessment, compared with sham-treated subjects. No serious adverse events were reported in any subject receiving the lasercomb in any of the studies.

The authors concluded that: “Our results suggest that low-level laser treatment may be an effective option to treat pattern hair loss in men and women”. They also concluded that “Low Level Laser Therapy [LLLT] may provide a promising treatment option for patients who do not respond to either finasteride or minoxidil, and who do not want to undergo hair transplantation.”

The authors also had this overall observation: “…… while topical minoxidil solution or foam is widely used to treat pattern hair loss and is generally well tolerated, the treatment needs to be applied one or twice daily, and be in contact with the scalp for at least 4 hours. Such application can be impractical for many users, leading to noncompliance and reduced efficacy. As an alternative, the lasercomb treatment is safe and easy to apply, with 8-15 minutes of treatment three times per week, and leaves no residue on the scalp. Such user friendliness of the lasercomb may lead to better patient compliance and improved efficacy.”

Dr. Lawrence Schachner, Chairman of the Department of Dermatology at the Miller School of Medicine of the University of Miami, and senior author of the article said: “The results of these clinical studies provide further evidence that the HairMax LaserComb may be utilized as an effective option for treating androgenetic alopecia in men and women.”

You can view a video of the lead author of the clinical paper, Dr. Lawrence Schachner and Dr. Joquin Jimenez discussing the clinical paper at this link: http://hairmaxpro.com/study-html/
See more
See less

Looking for published scientific/clinical studies on HairMax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for published scientific/clinical studies on HairMax

Hello,

I'm a 25-year old male with an early stage of male pattern baldness, i.e. my hair is thinning around the crown and on the top of my head. Given it is still early I thought HairMax may be used to help keep hair follicles alive and possibly delay/halt the progression (overly optimistic?), however I can't seem to find actual published studies (independent peer-reviewed articles) that would support the claims made on the HairMax website. I'm looking for full texts, not just abstracts. A search for "hairmax" on PubMed only returns 3 results with only this article seemingly relevant:
    HairMax LaserComb laser phototherapy device in the treatment of male androgenetic alopecia: A randomized, double-blind, sham device-controlled, multicentre trial.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19366270

It is claimed here that:
    RESULTS:
    Of the 110 patients who completed the study, subjects in the HairMax LaserComb treatment group exhibited a significantly greater increase in mean terminal hair density than subjects in the sham device group (p < 0.0001).
    but no quantitative data is provided. What does "significantly greater" mean in terms of numbers? From a purely scientific standpoint, the abstract is unfortunately too vague. Also, why is it not possible to find the full text of this study - may I ask for links and further information to be provided to obtain the entire study?

Also, are there other published studies available besides this one? If so (which I would expect, given that the HairMax website claims the product is "clinically proven"), could they please be referenced (titles, authors, dates and journals they appeared in) and full data made available?

Thank you in advance for your time,
    J.
    Last edited by jfn9; 12-11-2012, 08:39 PM.

Hairmax efficacy

Hi jfn9 -

Thank you for your post.

The clinical paper you found is the only one in which results were published in a peer review journal. Due to copyright laws, we cannot provide a complete copy of the clinical paper on this web site, so the abstract is the only source which is publicly available.

The term "statistically greater" means that the results reached a high level of significance as far as efficacy over the sham device. In order words, the study proved that the HairMax was effective in regrowing hair.

There are no other published study results at this time, although researchers of the recent 4 clinical studies proving efficacy in both men and women are writing a clinical paper which should be submitted in the near future to a peer review journal for publication.

LAS

Visit the website: http://www.hairmax.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/hairmax
    Access the HairMax Blog: http://hairmaxlasercomb.blogspot.com
    Online ordering of the HairMax LaserComb: http://www.hairmaxestore.com
    Last edited by LAS; 12-13-2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
    Working...
    X