Thread: White Bulbs at End of Lost Hair

Unregistered Guest

Default White Bulbs at End of Lost Hair

Sorry about the unscientific terminology. I'm talking about that tiny bit of material (dead skin?) on the scalp-end of hair that has fallen out. Somewhere I read on this forum that this was a good thing. Is this true, and if so, why? Or is this true of all hair that falls out of the scalp and I've just never noticed before.

Default Telogen phase

Dear "Unregistered" User,

Hello and thank you for your post.

In reading your post, it sounds like what your seeing and/or experiencing is the telogen phase of the hair growth cycle, which is where the root comes out with the hair.

Telogen is the resting phase and usually accounts for 6% to 8% of all hairs. This phase lasts for about 100 days for hairs on the scalp and longer for hairs on the eyebrow, eyelash, arm, and leg. During this phase, the hair follicle is completely at rest and the club hair is completely formed. Pulling out a hair in this phase will reveal a solid, hard, dry, white material at the root. About 25 to 100 telogen hairs are shed normally each day". In short, this is a normal and natural part of the hair growth cycle and it's a good thing.

I have attached the link to further explain the hair growth cycles:
    http://www.americanhairloss.org/hair_science/

I hope this helps.

Sonia

Unregistered Guest

Default Same phonomenon

Hi,
    I have not purchased the lasercomb yet.
    When I pass my hand in my hair, everytime I am left with hair that have this little white end, however my hair is thinning, so I have the feeling that once the root has gone with the shed hair, there is nothing new growing in the same spot. Is that right?
    -Male, 28years old, tried Propecia but side effects were too strong